Monday, July 19, 2010

Travels With The Shepps - Part 2



Since this was a working holiday for The Big Guy, the kids and I spent a lot of time around the hotel--with an XBox and laptop it wasn't always easy to get them out of the room but the pool and patio with its waterfall were great draws and great places for me to read.


Of course, no visit to the Black Hills would be complete without a visit to Mount Rushmore and we made sure to get there in time to hike, visit the museum, and be awed by the lighting ceremony.


While we were in near Custer, we kept seeing signs in the parks that said "Buffaloes Are Dangerous Do Not Approach." But until the last day we were there, the only buffalo we had seen were the art pieces we had seen all over Custer. Then, on our way out of the area, we finally came across a small herd of the real thing. I was in heaven!



Last stop on the trip (well, except for the required gas station and bathroom breaks) was in Alliance, Nebraska, home of Carhenge. Yes, those are all real cars--the ones in the foreground are arranged to resemble England's Stonehenge. Sadly, I was in "let's just get home now" mode and didn't have much of an appreciation for Carhenge.




And now you are released from having to look at any more vacation pictures--even though The Big Guy thinks there are a lot of other things worth sharing. Luckily for you, he has no idea how to add a post to this blog!

6 comments:

  1. I've still never been to Mt. Rushmore. And I've DEFINITELY not seen carhenge. I'm doubly deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carhenge! How fun! We have something similar in Amarillo called Cadillac Ranch (or something) with a bunch of old cars half buried in the ground. There's spray paint onsite and you can just go crazy.

    We didn't go on the wildlife loop last year but I think we might go this year. After Sturgis last year we went to Yellowstone and I was SO disappointed in not seeing any Buffalo at first until we saw them all the time and we would get so aggravated by the traffic jams they caused.

    Looks like you had a great trip, Lisa. You mentioned the windcaves? Worth the trip?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a great time! I would have been in awe of the buffalo too. At least you got to see the real thing. =O)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, Carhenge came up in a conversation I had with HB's aunt on Saturday...they're driving their RV across the US and are stopping at Carhenge. It was the first I'd ever heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the photos! I really want to see Mt. Rushmore, but hubby keeps saying it will take 10 minutes and THEN what do we do? I know we'll get there though.
    Carhenge??? Wait 'til he hears about that one...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing the photos from your trip. I didn't make it to Stonehenge while living in NE... I hear it's quite a sight!

    As you can see, I hardly have time in front of the computer these days (I can't believe I haven't visited any blogs in a week... since I was surprised to read your first vaca post). :)

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete