Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sunday Salon - September 25


Wait! Can this really be the last Sunday of September already? Goodness, I've all but lost the past few months! Of course, it shouldn't surprise me - fall did officially kick off this week although I've felt like it was fall since the first kick off of the football season.

My reading schedule for the fall is looking very clear - only a couple of reviews that are scheduled and I've already read my book club selection for October. I've got the food theme going on in October but I'm also going to be using the rest of the fall to work on books for challenges. I've got a couple I'm working on right now, The Three Weissmanns of Westport by Cathleen Schine for the Sense and Sensibility Bicentenary Challenge and This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust for the War Through The Generations Reading Challenge.

Anyone else enjoy listening to Kurt Anderson's "Studio 360?" If you haven't yet discovered it, I heartily recommend seeking it out on your local public radio station. This week Anderson interviewed Lev Grossman about making the switch from literary fiction to magic-based fiction. I was unfamiliar with Grossman's work prior to The Magicians so it was interesting to hear him talk about how hard it was to begin writing in that genre. A few weeks ago, Anderson interviewed Jonathon Franzen as Freedom was getting ready to come out in paperback and Philippe Petit, whose tightrope walk between the towers of the World Trade Center, was the centerpiece of Colum McCann's Let The Great World Spin.

Other books that I've been hearing about on the radio this week that have really piqued my interest are Susan Orlean's Rin Tin Tin: The Life and The Legend, Michael Lewis' Moneyball, and Life Itself by Roger Ebert. What new books have you added to your wish list this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment