Saturday, November 24, 2012

Sunday Salon - November 25



Good morning, all! Hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving and survived Black Friday. We were remarkably sane in our Black Friday shopping (having had such a miserable experience last year) even though we did head out the door at 5:30 a.m. We refused to shop on Thanksgiving - we were all in agreement that employees should not have to give up that day - and we were not in the least interested in being at any store when the doors opened. We may have missed a couple of things we were interested in but all came home with plenty of great buys and our sanity.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Oh yeah, it's Christmas music time! One of my favorites is Neal and Leandra's "Listen To The Angels." Have I mentioned before how much I love this duo? Yeah, I probably have.


Watching: "Gone With The Wind" and "Midway" with my extended family the way only we can do it. Which is to say that "Gone With The Wind" is now R-rated and politically incorrect. "Midway," a very serious World War II movie by any standard, is a raucous comedy (and also politically incorrect) complete with prop flotation devices and [candy] cigarettes. For next year's annual viewing goggles and scarves will be added. It's our own "Rocky Horror Picture Show."

photo courtesy of Lora Higgins

Reading: Still Cannery Row. Haven't picked up a book in more than two days. I will finish it today and then I really am getting on to The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn to finish up Fall Feasting. What are you reading this week?

Making: The house look Christmasy this week. Just when I got all of the storage boxes into their new homes, it's time to pull them all back out again. It's going to take a while this year as I'm planning on changing things up and adding some new things.

Planning: Despite a rather extended reading slump which I still haven't worked my way through, hope springs eternal and I'm starting to make reading plans for 2013. I'll no longer be hosting the Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge (even I haven't done a good job with it) but I am pondering a challenge for great American authors (you know, Steinbeck, Welty, Wharton, Twain, Hemingway). What do you think?

Grateful for: Family - the one I was born into and the one I was blessed to marry into. 

Loving: Albuteral. I've caught a bug that's set off my asthma and I spent the entire week sounding like a person with a 60 year, 2-pack a day habit but at least I had the thing I needed to keep going. How did asthmatics survive without this??

Looking forward to: Well, I think that's pretty obvious! Last year I had such a miserable December between working eighty hours a week and battling gallstones. This year I am bound and determined to savor the season just as I've enjoyed the fall.

What are you looking forward to this week?

No comments:

Post a Comment