Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Book List Meme - February 3

The Book List Meme is brought to us by Rebecca of Lost in Books. This week's topic is 3 Books I Read When I Need A Good Cry. I'm not really one to cry when I read, but these three certainly did me in.

How could you not cry when the Nazi's make a mother choose between her two children? And then the suicides? C'mon! William Styron's "Sophie's Choice" is bound to make you shed at least a tear or two.







Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women" is one of my favorite books. I read it to my daughter not too long ago and found I still got a lump in my throat when Beth died.








Since I just told you about Norma Klein's "Sunshine" a couple of weeks ago, I know you understand why I cried when I read about a young mother dying.

6 comments:

  1. I still cry just THINKING about Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last book that made me shed a tear was The Last Song - I don't usually read Sparks so imagine my surprise!

    I wanted to cry for The Blue Notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man I never read any of those...I think the last book that made me cry was "The Geography of Love", which I won on Goodreads. It's about a woman watching her husband die from cancer, it was so sad :o(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree - Little Women always makes me teary. I'm going to read Sophie's Choice for a challenge this year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I usually don't cry while reading either...I got a little teary eyed with the Book Thief.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh I didn't know Sophie's Choice was a book! I've seen the movie (utterly heartwrenching) but imagine reading it might be even worse (or better, you know what I mean)!

    ReplyDelete