Sunday, July 10, 2011

Sunday Salon - July 10


NPR this week posted a their list of the "summer's biggest, juiciest nonfiction adventures." I never quite think of nonfiction as "juicy" (Henry Kissinger's On China being an example of why I don't). It turns out, though, that just as this list comes out, I'm actually reading one of the books on the list.

Having just finished Mark Seal's The Man In The Rockefeller Suit, I still don't know that I would call it "juicy" but I would definitely call it an adventure. If it's any indication of the kind of fun a nonfiction read can be, then I'm going to have to pick up more of NPR's picks.

I've been doing a terrible job of getting books read this summer, and an even worse one of blogging, which has been a disappointment. I do always think that I'll get more reading done in the summer than I ever do. Every June arrives with me envisioning myself doing a lot of sitting on the patio with a good book. Somehow I never also envision that my chatty husband might also be sitting out there or that my daughter will want to hang out just as I sit down to read (and when you have a 16-year-old who wants to spend time with you, you take it!). Somewhere about this time of year, I begin to think that at least when winter arrives, and I'm more housebound, then I'll get more reading time. Are you starting to see where this cycle is going?!

I'm going to have to pick it up a bit in the coming weeks. I've got reviews of John Burnham's Northwest Corners and Paul Seesequasis' Tobacco Wars coming up this month as well as my book club selection for July which is Persepolis. Also hoping to find time for Theresa Fowler's Exposure and The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky. So I'm off to read now; what are your reading plans for July?

No comments:

Post a Comment