Sunday, July 17, 2011

Sunday Salon - July 17

I can't believe that July is half over already and that there are only three and a half weeks before Miss H heads back to school.

Last night she and I were off shopping. I had to pick up this month's read for the Omaha Bookworms Book Club (we meet Tuesday; nothing like waiting until the last minute!), which is Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis. Couldn't remember the author's name when I got to the store but didn't think I would need help finding it because it's a graphic novel and therefore should be in the graphic novel section. But, of course, it wasn't. It's in the Biography section. I suppose that makes sense since it is the story of a part of Satrapi's life. But still...


While I was searching the graphic novel section, a series of books caught my eye, the "Fables" series. Have any of you graphic novel readers heard of them? I picked up a couple because of the names (Arabian Nights and Rose Red) thinking they were graphic interpretations of classic fairy tales but discovered them to be modern. Not all of the title had to do with fairy tales so I wasn't quite sure what the story was with this series. I was intrigued enough to look it up when I got home, though. Here's the summary of the first book from the Barnes & Noble website:
"When a savage creature known only as the Adversary conquered the fabled lands of legends and fairy tales, all of the infamous inhabitants of folklore were forced into exile. Disguised among the normal citizens of modern-day New York, these magical characters have created their own peaceful and secret society within an exclusive luxury apartment building called Fabletown. But when Snow White's party-girl sister, Rose Red, is apparently murdered, it is up to Fabletown's sheriff, a reformed and pardoned Big Bad Wolf, to determine if the killer is Bluebeard, Rose's ex-lover and notorious wife killer, or Jack, her current live-in boyfriend and former beanstalk-climber."
Now that idea piques my interest. I still don't know if I'm a fan of graphic novels but I just might have to pick up the first book in the series and give it a try. It would definitely be a change up to whatever else I've been reading and I do like to change things up now and again.

I'll, obviously, be reading Persepolis this week. What are you reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment