Saturday, August 1, 2015

Life: It Goes On - August 2

So - August. Back in the day, August meant one more month of summer and vacations. Then for 18 years it meant hurry up and get everything we want to do during the summer done quickly because school's starting in a couple of weeks. I think I was the only mom I knew who wasn't ready for the kids to go back to school!

Now we can relax again and not worry about summer ending soon. I may not even watch the news for the next couple of weeks so I can avoid all of the back-to-school news and ads and keep my mind in a summer zen state.

This Week I'm:

Listening To: I'm about halfway through Sarah Vowell's Unfamiliar Fishes and learning a lot. Although, I must say that sometimes, her voice can get kind of annoying. And she can really get off topic.

Watching: Last night we went to see Ian McKellen in "Mr Holmes." We both enjoyed it quite a lot - there's humor, sadness, little tugs at the heart strings (yeah, yeah - I know we're being manipulated but I didn't care) and McKellen is just superb. It's based on the book A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullin; you know that's been added to my ridiculously long list of books to read.

Reading: I finished Go Set A Watchman the other day and started Paula McLain's Circling The Sun which I'm about a third of the way through already. Also finished Rainbow Rowell's Fangirl. Mixed feelings about that one.












Making: Oh have I been busy in the kitchen this week! Just because we had all kinds of fresh fruit that needed to be used up, I made a fruit pizza Sunday. For Mini-him's birthday dinner on Monday, I made Asian chicken salad, red velvet cake and stuffed hot banana peppers. Tuesday we made a pork tenderloin which lead to Cuban sandwiches on Wednesday. Thursday was peanut satay chicken stir fry - sounded delicious but the sauce was so bland. Will not be repeating that one. Yesterday we went to the farmer's market and brought home all kinds of goodies so I'm looking forward to working with those ingredients this week. I'm going way out of my comfort zone in working with beets - will actually be trying a recipe that included them with rhubarb.

Planning: On finally getting my office decorated. Paint colors finalized, some furniture moved out with different pieces ready to come in once the painting is done, and a rug picked out.

Grateful for: Ibuprofen - and even it hasn't entirely been able to tame the headache I've had since Friday. All those peanuts in that picture above? Too many for a person who has something of a peanut allergy. Boy, is my body making me pay for that one!


Enjoying: Farmer's markets - two in one weekend! Although, I tend to get a little cranky with people who can't seem to understand they need to use some crowd etiquette.

Feeling: A bit anxious - two of our kids are going to have to be moving shortly and we're not quite sure what that will entail. Perhaps back with us, maybe short term, maybe longer. Just when I'd gotten used to us having the house to ourselves!

Looking forward to: Some time off work soon - although how that will be spent, I'm not sure yet. Perhaps a quick trip to Colorado, perhaps a few days at home to get some projects done. The debate wages on!

What are you looking forward to this week? What's the best book you've read so far this summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment