Monday, March 21, 2016

A Day In The Life

Thanks to Trish of Love, Laughter, and a Touch of Insanity for hosting "A Day in the Life." With any smalls left in my house, my days are a lot less crazy than Trish's and many of yours but still there never seems to be enough time in a day.

Last year I wrote about a day in my working week life. It's pretty much the same this year, with the added addition of two adult children back in the house. This year I decided to share a day in my life on a weekend. Which, as it turns out, is not all that much more exciting!

8:30 a.m. It's Saturday and I have no small children so I sleep in when I can. I still set an alarm because I'm a night owl and, as much as I want to make sure I get eight hours of sleep on weekend nights, I don't want to sleep the morning away.

8:40 a.m. I love big breakfasts - just not necessarily for breakfast. So even on Saturdays, breakfasts are usually quick and easy. Today it's a couple of Eggo waffles with some peanut butter and a little maple syrup and a giant mug of coffee.

9:00 a.m. Time to watch Rick Steve's Travels. Saturday mornings, from the time we get up until 9:30 are all about the travel shows on public television.

9:30 a.m. After cleaning the kitchen, it's time to take The Big Guy's car in for an oil change and tire rotation. I might have gotten a little cranky about having to get dressed earlier than I usually do on the weekends.

10:00 a.m. It's quieter around here on Saturday mornings than it is in the evening and easier for me to find the time to sit down at my computer and read some blogs.

I follow 82 blogs these days, down considerably from what I used to and I have trouble keeping up with those. Several are inactive but I keep them on my blog roll in the hopes that my friends will return. One of the blogs is one a friend battling cancer started to record her fight. She died several years ago but I can't bring myself to delete the blog.

11:10 a.m. Laundry time. Ugh - it never ends. Truly. Usually I try to get started earlier on Saturdays.

11:40 a.m. Time to tidy up around here and de-winterize. Blankets are going into storage, snowmen are getting packed up, and I switched to my spring purse.

12:15 p.m. I'm battling a headache and nothing sounds good so I just nosh on some leftover egg noodles with Parmesan cheese.

12:35 p.m. I give up and go up to my room, where it's quiet, for a quick nap to see if I can shake this headache.

2:10 p.m. Oops! That nap got away from me! Time to get cleaning and check in with Miss H to see how the packing is going for her trip to Boston. It's, in fact, not happening. We have a little chat about getting a list started and making sure everything she wants to take is clean before I head downstairs to dust.

3:00 p.m. Miss H's bestie comes over to show off her new car. And to help Miss H pack, thank heavens.

3:15 p.m. Yep, it's time to switch the laundry and fold a load. I warned you this was not going to be exciting!

3:25 p.m. Time for a little plant control. I bring in several pots of herbs over the winter which more than doubles the amount of plants I usually have in the house. If it's growing, it's now overgrown. That big plant? Started life as a housewarming gift in my first house in 1986 in a 4" pot. It's almost impossible to control and drops leaves like crazy but after 30 years, I can't get rid of it!

3:50 p.m. Quick run the vacuum over the first floor of the house. With cats and dust allergies, my vacuum gets a lot of use.

4:15 p.m. Time to pick up BG's car.

4:30 p.m. I've been using BG's anti-perspirant for the past few days and I'm tired of smelling like Timber. Time for a quick run to Walgreen's while I'm out. I see one of Mini-him's friends and end up chatting for a while.

4:50 p.m. Finally time for some reading. I've just gotten a book that's scheduled for review on Tuesday. No way I'm going to have time to finish it before then but I want to get far enough in that I can post something about it.

5:40 p.m. Back to laundry. Starting to sense a theme to my weekends?

6:10 p.m. The cats remind me that it is past their dinner time.

6:15 p.m.  I've got to make a couple of pies in the morning so I grab some recipes and put together a grocery list.

6:30 p.m. We're living large tonight - McDonald's for dinner. Because I just couldn't be bothered to make dinner and we don't have a lot of time to go out.

6:50 p.m. Time to shower (finally!) and get my face on. Saturdays are my day for a nice long shower; you'd think I'd want to get to it sooner.

7:40 p.m.  Head out the door for the Omaha Film Festival.

8:00 p.m. Pick up our tickets from will-call, browse the festival's auction, get our popcorn (because, as you know, we hadn't eaten in a very long time!), and meet up with our friends.

8:40 Movie time! We watch a movie called "Trivia Night" then enjoy a questions and answer period with the movie's director and writer/lead actor. One of the fun parts of the festival is getting to interact with the talent.

10:40 p.m. Because, as I've already pointed out, we haven't eaten enough, we and our friends swing by for a reverse happy hour. Some wine and beer, some appetizers, and some good conversation - right up until we realize they have just turned off the parking lot lights which must mean it's...


You'd think that would be the end of my day but you would be wrong. We still need to swing by the grocery store. We get home about 12:25 a.m. It is then that we remembered that we have to get up early and that it's time to switch to Daylight Savings Time. When will we ever grow up and become responsible?!!

No comments:

Post a Comment