Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sunday Salon - August 28

What a great weekend we've had here! Went out with friends Friday night and had friends and family in for a dinner party last night. Today we're off to my parents for another dinner party. As much fun as I've had, that's about enough socializing for this bookworm! I haven't gotten any reading done at all this weekend but I'm going to make good use of the car trip today for just that purpose. The Big Guy and Mini-Him have been working on my computer this weekend and have yet to get my pictures loaded back on, hence no Sunday Salon image. There may also be glitches I'm unaware of as of yet. Please let me know if you notice anything off or not working when you visit!

I came across this book in an email from Random House.  Without knowing anything at all about the story, I'm anticipating Hooked by Catherine Greenman will be making waves amongst the parents of its intended audience. People who prefer their children not to read anything that smacks of the real world and almost certainly not going to want them to even pick up a book with a pregnant teen on the cover.

The Atlantic had an article this week, "Can A Bestselling Book Guarantee A Hit Movie?" The conclusion, after looking at two of the most recent movie adaptations, Kathryn Stockett's The Help and David Nicholl's One Day, is a resounding "no." The movie still needs to be good, it's as simple as that. Of course, if your protagonist is Harry Potter, then question is moot; the movie will be huge. And the latest Winnie-the-Pooh movie is also something of an exception to the rule. It has not done well at all at the theaters; shame on parents of young children for not making this one a hit. It's so hard to get Hollywood to make movies for children that are good. Hopefully the sales and rentals of the DVD version will be big enough to convince movie makers that a profit can be made with movies aimed at children.


Last night my sister was raving about a book she recently read, A Dog's Purpose, which will appear later this week when "Mama Shepp's Family Recommends.." returns. Also up this week, reviews of The Hottest Dishes of the Tartar Cuisine by Alina Bronsky and Skipping A Beat by Sarah Pekkanen both of which I thoroughly enjoyed. This week I'm reading Joan Leegant's Wherever You Go" for an upcoming TLC Book Tour. What are you reading this week?


No comments:

Post a Comment