Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Gilmore Girls Reading Challenge

"Gilmore Girls" ran on the WB Network from October 2000 to May 2007. The "girls" were mother and daughter Lorelei and Rory Gilmore. Lorelei had made her share of mistakes but when the show started, she was doing her best to make sure her prep school daughter stayed on the right track. Which was complicated by Lorelei's wealthy, meddling parents and a small Connecticut town full of real characters who all seemed to think they had a say in Rory's life. Between Lorelei, Rory, friends, family and school over 280 books were seen, discussed or read during the shows six year run.

When a friend recently found a site that listed all of the books referenced on the show, by episode, I started to get the idea that it would be fun to see how many of them I could read. Until I really started to think about how many books that was. That's when I decided it would be more fun to have a lot of people read some of the books.

If you click on the button on sidebar, it will take you directly to the challenge blog (or click here) for all of the details and the very long list of books you can choose from. The challenge runs from January 1, 2010 through December 31, 2010 and there are five categories of books you can choose from and three levels of participation. Movies of any of the books count and crossovers from other challenges count. You could end up reading anything from "Eloise" to Sylvia Plath, from "Babe, the Gallant Pig" to Arianna Huffington's "Pigs At The Trough."

There will be a grand prize at the end (still working out the details on that) and some mini-challenges along the way. Hope you'll be able to work this into what I already know is your very busy year of challenges!

11 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great idea for a challenge! I'm definitely looking forward to joining in on the fun!! Cheers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very intrigued by this challenge as well -- and I think it is such a creative reading challenge!

    I haven't quite yet decided if I am going to officially sign up - or just watch from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This kind of sounds like fun...I'm going to think seriously about this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic idea for a challenge!! I just may have to participate!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Gilmore Girls but I think Rory's tastes in literature are a little too dry for me. Especially the non-fiction- yeech!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa I love this! If you need help with a mini challenge or even a end of challenge prize package I would be willing to assist. Gilmore Girls are my all time comfort shows! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks fun!

    Welcome to the What's in a Name Challenge! Happy that you decided to join up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I might need to join in on this one. I LOVE the Gilmore Girls! What a fun idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My English teacher told me that 'mercy' is also really good, I think I will wish it for Christmas. I would also love to read 'Beloved'.
    Btw, congrats on your 100 followers. That is great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really need to rent this series and give it a try. I've seen an episode here and there, but that's about it. Good luck with your challenge, Lisa! I'm trying to resist temptation this next year and avoid signing up for any new challenges. We'll see how that goes. It's so hard to resist!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I came over to check out your soup recipe and discovered this great challenge. I loved watching the Gilmore Girls and I liked that the show's creators had Rory reading all the time. Good example for young girls.

    I'm assessing all my challenges for next year now so I'll think about this for a day or two. It sounds like a fun challenge. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete