Monday, December 28, 2009

Sunday Salon - Monday Edition

With three days left in the month, we've now had more snow in this December than any December in the past 62 years! Friday morning, we woke up to this drift on our patio. Miss H and friend built a tunnel through and then a cave inside big enough for them both to sit in. It was the one good thing, for her, about missing Christmas with the family. For me, the one good thing was how very relaxing it was. And the amount of time I found to read!

With everyone putting together year end recaps, I thought I could knock mine out in no time. Ha! I have my top five books always listed on the side of my blog but narrowing down a top ten is giving me fits. So that's a post for another day. I am enjoying reading everyone else's top ten lists as well as the lists from all of the major publications. I found Entertainment Weekly's top ten list of the year to be interesting. I would have expected to find more fluff on this list so I was surprised to find literary favs such as "Lit: A Memoir" by Mary Karr, "The Help" by Kathryn Stockett, and "Let The Great World Spin" by Colum McCann.

I'm off to read while I watch PBS's documentary about Louisa May Alcott. Have I mentioned how much I love her books? I do; I love them! I've got my National Book Award winner still to finish so I can complete that challenge before year end!

9 comments:

  1. That looks so fun! (spoken by one who has no snow whatsoever!) But it's a great picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it wasn't us with all that snow (ours is almost gone because of recent rain). Looking forward to posting my own top reads list of 2009 soon. Hope you post one as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of snow! It looks like the girls are having fun. :-)

    I need to start thinking about my top ten list. I think the top five will be fairly easy, as you said, but beyond that will be a little tougher.

    I hope you have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually love this week between Xmas and NewYr but I'm feeling it slip away too fast and I my book list is so out-of-date and I just want to be reading and ignoring the clock and calendar. Happy 2010 - is it really only 3 days!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a snowstorm the past few days but not enough snow to build a tunnel and cave! How fun for your daughter...my son would LOVE to do that. He keeps trying every year to build a tunnel and this may be the winter we'll have enough snow. I forgot to tape the Alcott show also but they usually replay these. I did remember to tape part two of Cranford Sunday night.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you enjoy the Alcott show! I watched its debut last night and even though it was different than I was expecting, I really enjoyed it and found it informative. I like thinking of Louisa May as a "Jo" because Jo was always the one I identified with in Little Women!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that narrowing down fave books is tough business, indeed! What I hate is when people ask me what my favorite book is. Clearly these are not book people or they would know that you can't have just one favorite! How ludicrous. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a good amount of snow. I like looking at it but living in it? Must be why I live in California. I can drive to the snow if I want to, or the desert...or the ocean in just a couple of hours.

    These year end lists are hard for me because there isn't a whole lot that WOWs me. Books become favorites for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's the characters, other times just the beauty of the writing but mostly, just how the story sits with me.

    ReplyDelete