Monday, December 7, 2009

Soup's On!

Welcome! I'm so excited to be part of this week's Progressive Dinner Party; I'm picking up new recipes as quickly as I usually get new book ideas! Now that you've enjoyed your appetizers, please pull up a chair and we'll begin with the soup and salad course.


At my table, I'll be serving Southern Peanut Soup. My brother-in-law, who's quite a good cook, particularly of soups, first introduced me to this soup many years ago. Then he had the audacity to never make it again. But I still love him anyway; well, I do now that I know how to make the soup.

Southern Peanut Soup
2 T. butter
2 T. onion, grated
1 rib of celery, thinly sliced
2 T. flour
3 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. creamy peanut butter
1/4 t. salt
1 c. light cream
2 T. chopped roasted peanuts

Melt the butter over low heat in Dutch oven. Add onion and celery. Saute for 5 minutes. Add flour and mix well until blended. Stir in broth and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat; strain broth to remove onion and celery. Stir in peanut butter, salt and cream until well mixed. Serve hot. Garnish each serving with a teaspoon of chopped peanuts.

For another soup course, visit:

Review From Here - www.reviewfromhere.com - Creamy Tomato Soup

And for salad, stop by:

Rundpinne - www.rundpinne.com - Grandma's Cranberry Salad
Bermudaonion's Weblog - www.bermudaonion.wordpress.com - Pear & Blue Cheese Salad
Booking Mama - www.bookingmama.blogspot.com - Strawberry Poppy Seed Salad


Be sure to check out Book Blog Social Club for all of this week's festivities. My family is going to be trying new recipes for weeks!

5 comments:

  1. I love Southern peanut soup (and so did George Washington, by the way!). Whenever we are in Virginia we get some!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I adore peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks interesting. I think I would love it, not sure about my husband, but you never know until you try :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a peanut butter junkie - I bet he'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never even knew there was such a thing as peanut soup. It sounds kinda good, though!

    ReplyDelete