Saturday, August 31, 2013

Life: It Goes On - Sept 1

Ahhhh, I feel so much better now - it's finally REAL football season! It's also that time of year when my head is in a funny place. I've got great loads of tomatoes coming off the vine right now and it's been scorching hot, so it's summer, right? But pumpkin beer is on the shelf, football's on the t.v. and the Halloween candy is out so it's fall, right?

I do know my reading is already starting to change as I turn the page on the calendar. I'm finishing one last true summer read (Lian Dolan's fun Elizabeth the First Wife) and then I'm starting my annual Fall Feasting reading (more on this tomorrow). Today starts R.I.P. VIII (Readers Imbibing in Peril) hosted by Carl of Stainless Steel Droppings and at the end of the month Michelle of Seasons of Reading will again host the Fright-fall Readathon. I may not be ready to spend all of my time cozy in my corner of the sofa but I'll definitely be doing a lot of reading out on the patio while it's still warm enough.

Here's What I'm:

Listening To: Podcasts this week - I've been catching up with the Chaos Chronicles (Lian Dolan broadcasting from her closet!) and Book Club Girl On Air.

Watching: Love Actually (I know, I know, it's not December but I love this movie!) and Say Anything. How can you not  love that scene with John Cusack holding a boombox over his head serenading Iona Skye with Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes?"

 

Reading: This week I'll start listening to Anna Quindlen's Black And Blue on my commute and I've still got In Cold Blood on my nightstand (can I just say, once again, how impressed I am with this one?). I'll finish Elizabeth the First Wife in by tomorrow and then I'll pick up something foodie for Fall Feasting, probably A Place At The Table by Susan Rebecca White.

Making: Oh lordy, have I been domestic this week! I got a box of peaches Monday and every day I did something new with them - I froze six quarts of slices, make six pints of freezer jam, and baked a peach custard pie and peach crisp. One evening I threw together a corn & black bean salsa and a ham and pasta salad another. Yesterday I roasted cherry tomatoes to freeze. Mama Shepp's boys were over last night to watch football so I put on a spread for them including bacon-wrapped stuffed banana peppers which I'd never tried before. This all probably means I won't cook a thing this week!

Planning: On getting more work done in the basement this week in anticipation of a trip to the Goodwill.

Grateful for: A house full of "my boys," laughing, watching football and snarfing down food. I miss having them around all of the time!


Loving: I already said "college football," right?

Thinking: My holiday weekend should be filled with chores but I just might spend a good chunk of the next couple of days reading.

Looking forward to: A trip this weekend to help celebrate a 50th birthday party!

Are you still caught in summer or looking forward to fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment