Saturday, June 13, 2015

Life: It Goes On - June 14

I am coming to you all kinds of rested and relaxed after making this a three-day weekend. Friday was fun day, Saturday was helping Miss H shop (more on that later) and getting stuff done around the house, and today is all about reading, resting and only doing what I feel like doing.

Lots of fun stuff going on in Omaha this weekend. My goal this summer is to make sure we take advantage of at least one free event every week this summer and Friday it was the Opening Ceremonies for the College World Series. It's an absolute carnival atmosphere for blocks around the stadium throughout the series with free concerts, dozens of restaurants and bars with tents nearby, more clothing vendors than I can count, and lots of activities for kids and families. This is the second year in a row we've gone to the opening ceremonies and I think my favorite part is watching those young men walk out onto the field and take in the atmosphere. Starting yesterday, it became about winning ballgames again but Friday it was about having fun and they were definitely doing that. As were we!

Dave Winfield speaking to the teams
This weekend was also Junkstock which was one of the reasons I took off on Friday. I was disappointed that there weren't more of what I would call "raw" materials this time, not many salvage vendors. But I did get some great ideas for things I can create myself and came home with some goodies. That armadillo, by the way, was $300. Are stuffed armadillos going to be the next big thing?

This Week I'm:

Listening To: The Book of Night Women by Marlon James - great narration, really enjoying this one.

Watching: With The Big Guy out of town this week, I got to watch whatever I wanted to watch for three days but then I didn't even turn on the television most of the time he was gone.

Reading: I put aside Misery this week to let others catch up on the readalong and picked up Balm by Dolen Perkins-Valdez. Her writing is so good!

Making: See "Watching" - not much for most of the week!

Planning: This weekend's been spent planning a new work wardrobe for Miss H. Friday she accepted a job with a bank so no more restaurant "uniforms." Time for a big girl wardrobe to match a big girl job. We've picked up quite a few new pieces - now to work them in with what she already owns. Fun!

Grateful for: My kids all being in good places right now, happy and moving forward with their lives.

Enjoying: Friday traded in my Nook. I didn't necessarily need a new one but with it not holding a charge as long as it used to and the chargers being all but impossible to find (and that $50 credit I got for trading it in!), it was time to bring home a new baby. I've been having a lot of fun playing with my new model - much faster, lighter, and more gadgets. I only wish it didn't still pick up glare. But with the credit for the trade in and a gift certificate I got for Mother's Day, it was only $80 and you can't pass that up!

Feeling: I think I answered this in the first sentence - rested and relaxed!

Looking forward to: Book club this week - we'll be discussing The Rosie Project.



No comments:

Post a Comment