Sunday, June 21, 2015

Life: It Goes On - June 21

Happy Father's Day to all of the dads out there and those who have served as father figures to the children who need them. The Big Guy asked only for the kids to help him with some yard work so they got out early this morning and got that done before it got to hot. We've just finished up his Father's Day "dinner" of BLT sandwiches (with fresh picked tomatoes, although sadly not from my own garden yet), macaroni salad, and strawberry shortcake. Heavy on the carbs but we were all in the mood for summer foods.

We were down one child - Mini-me left very early this morning for the Juniper Writer's Workshop in Amherst, Massachusetts. He'll spend a week there participating in workshops, craft sessions, and readings. I so wish I could be a fly on the wall! I'm so proud of him for being selected and excited for this adventure for him.

Happy Father's Day to my dad!

This Week I'm:

Listening To: More than half way through The Book of Night Women and absolutely loving it. Also catching up on Gretchen Rubin's "Happier" podcast. Every episode has one tip that listeners should try and one of the tips I listened to last week to make yourself happier was to quit reading books that aren't making you happy. Something I'm not good at but I'm going to try to remember that I need to do it to make myself happier.

Watching: We're catching up on "Game of Thrones" - BG and I had only seen the first episode of Season 5 and Mini-him hadn't seen any of them. BG, Miss H and I watched "Gone Girl" last night. BG is still fuming about the ending! I thought it was fairly well done, although I question a couple of the casting choices and I thought the ending was a little flat.

Reading: I finished Misery - grisly, to be sure, but also a terrific mind game. I started Emily St. John's
Station Eleven which I am really liking and will have a hard time not reading at the expense of housework.

Making: See above. Nothing much else exciting. I really have been uninspired in the kitchen of late.

Planning: We've got a couple of weekend trips in the works and I'm wanting to get my office painted so the rest of the decorating can get done. Miss H gave me a couple of jars that will be perfect for the scheme I have planned; they've inspired me to get back to it.

Grateful for: Air-conditioning - it has gotten hot here and this old girl does not tolerate the heat well any more.

TCU Horned Frogs versus Vanderbilt Commodores
Enjoying: Watching the College World Series - on television and in person. We were cheering for the TCU Horned Frogs but they are sadly out of the finale.

Feeling: Tired. I wish I had more to show for it!

Looking forward to: Didn't get to have book club last week so we'll try again this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment