Friday, January 1, 2016

First Book of the Year 2016


First Book of the Year is hosted by Sheila of Book Journey, who asks readers to post what they've chosen for their first read of the new year, be it a reread, a guilty pleasure read, a book you've been meaning to get to for a long time, or a book that will set the tone for your reading in the coming year.

The problem with having fewer reading commitments for me has always been making the choice of my next read when I can chose anything I want. Whenever I finish a book, it's always takes some thinking to decide what's next. Some of that depends on what I just finished. Do I want more of the same? Was it a disappointment and I really want to pick up something I know will be better? Was it great and I'm concerned that the next book won't be able to measure up?

I finished 2015 with Tana French's Faithful Place, perhaps my favorite of her five books. I knew what I picked up next needed to be something completely different or it would be hard to measure up. I was fairly certain I wanted read nonfiction next. But what? I did get Stacy Schiff's The Witches for Christmas and I've been wanting to get to The Emperor of All Maladies for a long time. But...I felt like I needed something lighter. I want to make a greater effort to read off my Nook in 2016 so I picked it up to see if there was something there that suited. And, sure enough, there it was:


I love Moran's sense of humor and, after previously reading her Moranthology, knew she'd have a lot to saw about feminism and being a woman in the 21st century. I've only read the Prologue so far and I'm hooked.

What are you reading heading into 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment