Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Book Gems


For the first few years after I started blogging, I took notes for reviews like crazy when I was reading. Somewhere along the way, I decided that was pulling me away from just getting swept up in books. Now I mark a few passages that especially speak to me but, otherwise, take very few notes.

Except when I'm reading on my Nook, when it's easy to drag my finger along the page and tape "Highlight." Just the other day I realized that Nooks keep all of the notes ever taken on any books read on it. So many little writing gems that I never shared in my reviews. So, periodically, I'll share some of them and I'd love to have you share the things you've found that particularly stand out in books you've read.

First up, from Where'd You Go, Bernadette:
"Chihuly are the pigeons of Seattle. They're everywhere, and even if they don't get in your way, you can't help but build up a kind of antipathy toward them."

I found this so funny because here in Omaha we're very proud of the Chihuly pieces we have. Imagine comparing something so beautiful to a pigeon!

And:
"Maybe that's what religion is, hurling yourself off a cliff and trusting that something bigger will take care of you and carry you to the right place."
To which I say, Amen. I couldn't get through life without believing this.

Do you own a Nook and were you aware that it retained all of your notes and highlights? If not, I highly recommend checking it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment